Adventures of Miss Ellis

Hello Mrs Scharf’s class 2014,

My name is Claire and I am currently an Au Pair in a little village outside of Oxford, England. I am from Bowen and I had the privilege of having Mrs Scharf as a teacher in years 5 and 6 (in 2005 and 2006).

I am having a wonderful time in England. My job involves doing a lot of things to help out around the house and looking after two little children, a boy and a girl. Ben is 3 years old and loves tractors and playing outside! Lydia is 2 years old and loves cuddles and playing with her little pram!

Living in Oxford means that I am very close to London. It’s only takes me about an hour to get to London, so I have been there lots of times and love it! Whilst being in England I have also travelled to Wales, Berlin, Paris, Rome, Florence and Venice. I also plan to go to many other places in Europe.

Recently I have been to watch Wimbledon (the tennis tournament) and have also been to Capital Summertime Ball (a concert with a lot of wonderful singers).

How is your year going? What exciting things has your class been doing this year?

I hope to hear from your class soon when you get back from holidays! I am also happy to answer any questions you have about anything!

From Claire

2 thoughts on “Adventures of Miss Ellis

1. Claire says:

Sorry I have only just seen this comment!
    The weather has been really nice the last couple of months (it is summer at the moment). It sometimes has been getting up to 30 degrees, which is very warm for England! I hope Emma had a lovely time over in England. I certainly am having a great time! What exciting things has your class been up to?
    Jemma- No I don’t have any relatives in England but I have a friend from school who lives in central London.
    Kayah- A friend from Australia is coming in November and we are planning on going to Barcelona, Spain and Dublin, Ireland. I’m very excited!
    Rhiannon- I chose to be an au pair because I love working with children and it’s a great job while overseas as you live with the family!
    Tylar- Some of the wildlife I have seen include: squirrels, hedgehogs, rabbits, foxes and lots of different species of birds including pigeons.
    Ally- I moved to Oxford in November 2013.
    Chantel- Yes, Oxford has a very old and beautiful buildings, most are apart of Oxford University.
    Natasha- I like to walk around oxford and look at all the amazing buildings, go to the museums and shop!
    Liam and Mack- Oxford was first established around 912 AD and the history shows that there was some form of teaching in Oxford in 1096 AD, but there isn’t a clear foundation date of the university. It is very very old!!
    Lachlan- No, Oxford doesn’t have any mining history that I know of. It’s main history is about the university and the university colleges.

If you have anymore questions please ask!
    I will have to send some pictures of Oxford and you can see why I love it!

Claire

2. Yr5SK says:

Dear Claire,
    Thank you for your wonderful letter. How is the weather in Oxford at the moment? We have cold mornings and hot afternoons at the moment for our winter. Emma in our class has visited England before with her family.
    Kind regards,
    5SK
    Do you have relatives living in England? Jemma
    Where will you visit next? Kayah
    Why did you choose to be an au pair? Rhiannon
    What type of wildlife can you find in Oxford? Tylar
    When did you move to Oxford? Ally
    Does Oxford have a tourist attraction like our Bowen Mango and beaches? Chantel
    What do you like to do in Oxford? Natasha
    When was Oxford first established? Liam
    What is some of Oxford’s history? Mack
    Does Oxford have any mining history? Lachlan