The Great Tightening Tension Challenge

Our students are currently working on their English assessment which is a fantasy narrative. We use Seven Steps to Writing Success in our school as it teaches the students the skills required to build a story. Each step is taught in chunks, focusing on key concepts. This week, 5SK are creating their tightening tension paragraphs which we also call our pebble, rock and boulder. To implement this wonderful program, students work in a variety of groupings.

Today 5SK  participated in an online writing challenge with classes from four other schools in Queensland and South Australia. We used Padlet to run our session as it publishes student work instantly. This is the second time we have run this type of activity. Last week students created sizzling starts with three other Australian classes using the same format.

They were given a picture prompt today and asked to brainstorm their senses – see, hear, touch, taste, smell and feel. From there, each group created at least two tightening tension paragraphs around the prompt and posted online with the help of Mrs Franklin (Principal), Mrs Gummow (Master Teacher/HOC) and Helen (our lovely parent volunteer).

As the day passes, and the night goes, I see something edging closer. The boat rocks, Brandy turns to me helplessly, I feel worried and scared. Then a loud grunting noise is heard, the taste of salt is sneaked through my mouth as the clouds clear. I’m stunned, I’m paralized with fear. I can smell something, it smells rotten, suddenly the dead fish rise. “I’m hungry” my brother complains, I want to go home. If only, I think to myself, I feel like crying, but then I would be looked as a weakling. Charlee – Merinda Senior, Yr 6

Over the horizon I peer through the sun set drifting away. Ready to pack up I get a cold shiver down my boney spine, from the foggy mist. I can smell the salty fish that we caught earlier this morningsuddenly I can hear water splashing beside the boat. Circling us were three pointy fins. Ivy, Chloe, Jasmine & Emily – Mount Gambier, YR 4/5

We were surrounded by 10 metre man killing sharks. We were all screaming. One nearly flicked us in the face. We could feel the boat shaking with the waves. There was a big hole in the boat. We didn’t know what to do. Gypsy, Brody and Jack – Merinda 3/4R

Crack! The boat starts rapidly filling with salty water. All of a sudden grey pointy objects start circling like a cheetah chasing its prey. Sweat starts running down my face as I pace back and forth. Will this be my last moment? Zanna, David, Hugo, Ayden, Ellie & Levi – Queens Beach, Yr 5SK

The deep ocean started filling the boat.It entered in gushes of waves.We were filled with fear.We heard the waves crashing.Then we saw tiger sharks! They swarmed around the boat and started biting chunks off the boat.The boat started jerking and sinking like a rock!The Sharks are threatening us.We smell salty blood from their jaws as they bite the the side of the Oakwood boat.CRACK! Part of the boat is lopped off.We hear nothing but crunching and us screaming.The hot breath of our mouths was horrible so was our skin.We have no help now…..RAWR!!! Elissa, Hannah, Hayley and Charlotte – Brisbane, Yr 5/6

CLUNK! CLUNK! What was that? Oh no our motor had fallen off into the deep black ocean. Fierce hungry sharks were surrounding us. That is not any shark, that is 5 Great White sharks! We were petrrified and nervous. Our hearts were hammering. 2 sharks were charging right at us. Would we live? Bobby and Cameron – Bowen, Yr 3C

Here is our completed Padlet.